What does hiring a criminal defense lawyer do for your case? The criminal justice system can strike terror in many individuals. There are several regulations and guidelines. For the accused, there is also the looming threat of facing steep penalties if convicted of a criminal offense.
Having a criminal defense lawyer is critical in such a time. They have studied the laws, are seasoned in trial litigation, and know their way around a courtroom. At The Law Offices of Daniel J Miller, we have a dedicated Virginia Beach criminal attorney has more than 15 years of experience is ready to fight to defend you from facing criminal charges.
How Hiring an Attorney Can Help
You can choose to represent yourself if you have been accused of a crime; however, you do have the right to retain legal counsel as well. Criminal defense attorneys can help you in ways that you may not even realize are available to you.
These are some of the advantages that a criminal defense lawyer can bring to your case:
- They exhaust every piece of evidence available during the discovery phase.
- They know how to negotiate with prosecutors, such as to obtain a plea bargain or plea down the charges in your case.
- They have knowledge of the court system, whether it is at the local or state level. Every courtroom will be different, and some judges lean in one direction or another. Your lawyer may have insight as to how to handle your case based on this knowledge.
- They know how to stall cases when necessary, or speed the case along if it benefits your case.
- They can assist with expunging criminal convictions.
By calling The Law Offices of Daniel J. Miller, you can feel confident knowing that your case is in capable hands. We are known for communicating with our clients. We can offer our legal services to you and fight your criminal charges and protect your future.