The Right Attorney Makes
All The Difference
Establishing Paternity in Virginia Beach
Ensuring Each Party Shares Parental Responsibility
Virginia recognizes that the father of a child has a legal obligation to support his child. Additionally, a father is entitled to seek custody and/or visitation if he would like to build a relationship with the child despite being separated from the mother. However, the father must establish paternity to have any legal rights as a parent.
How to Establish Paternity
There are 4 ways a person can legally establish paternity in Virginia. These are:
- Presumption of Paternity: If the parents are married at least 10 months before the birth of the child, the law assumes the husband is the father.
- Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity: The parents of the child sign a voluntary acknowledgment form (under oath) that recognizes the father of the child. However, both parties must first read and review an oral and written description of the rights and responsibilities that go along with paternity.
- Paternity by Adoption: When a man chooses to adopt a child, he establishes his paternity through proof of adoption.
- Genetic/DNA Testing: The presumed father of the child can undergo a scientifically reliable genetic test to prove paternity.
Benefits of Establishing Paternity
Aside from the father’s name on the child’s birth certificate, there are many benefits to establish paternity for all parties involved.
Establishing paternity can help each party:
- foster a relationship;
- gain access to family history and medical records;
- gain access to medical insurance and benefits; and/or
- share responsibility in raising the child.
If either parent is unwilling to establish paternity, it can be difficult to share parental responsibility. At The Law Offices of Daniel J. Miller, our family law firm can help ensure your parental rights are upheld. Whether you are a father seeking to prove your parentage or a mother attempting to receive financial support, we can help you fight for your legal rights.
You guys did Great work I am completely satisfied Thank youB. Yanev Virginia Beach
Mr. Miller is one of the best there is professional and everyway and very knowledgeable trust in his process I’m very grateful to have had him as my attorney. Thank you again, Mr. Miller for everything.K. Smith Virginia Beach
Personalized Attention for Each Client
A Proven Track Record of Results
Experienced & Knowledgeable Legal Advice
Invested in Your Case & Your Success