Legal Minute - Juvenile Court Appeals

In this video, former attorney James A. Weaver tackles the subject of juvenile court appeals.

When a judge makes a final ruling on a child custody, visitation, support, or protective order case in the juvenile domestic relations court and you're not satisfied with the outcome, you may be able to appeal your case. You have the right to file an appeal within ten days of the judge's decision if you're unhappy with the outcome of your case.

To note an appeal, go to the clerk's office and tell the clerk you'd like to note your appeal. You and your attorney will then work with the circuit court to work through your appeal.

At your appeal hearing, you'll get a new judge to evaluate your case and have the opportunity to present witnesses and evidence to the court. During appeals, judges are not beholden to the previous ruling—they can rule any way they want to on your case. If you get a bad decision at the lower court level, then appealing your case is your best opportunity to get a more favorable ruling.

Contact our Virginia Beach juvenile court appeals lawyers now and we can help you start the appeals process.